Isn’t that the greatest lesson of Nano? It seems harsh, but I’ve been at this for 5 years, and I think that has always been my realization as NaNoWriMo goes on. You may think you had a great idea, …
"Well, when I was nine years old Star Trek came on, I looked at it and I went screaming through the house, 'Come here, mum, everybody, come quick, come quick, there's a black lady on television and she ain't no maid!' I knew right then and there I could be anything I wanted to be.”
— Whoopi Goldberg
If that isn’t a title that excites you, I don’t know what to say. I can only bring so much razzle dazzle before you people have to do some of the work yourselves. Put some effort in, is all I’m say…
Do I care about the new Muslim Ms. Marvel? I think it is awesome!
The Valkyries, on young girls in comic shops
- Juliette: A dad came in with his 4 year-old daughter and told her to ask me ("the lady who works here") for recommendations. She did and I showed her a few comics I thought she would like while the dad kind of waited a respectful distance away so that it was really our conversation. Then he said to her "I just want to make sure you know you can always ask the people in the comic book store for recommendations and they'll be happy to talk to you."
- And all of a sudden I realized that he was making sure his little girl would grow up believing that she is welcome in comic book and nerd spaces instead of feeling like she's an outsider just because she's a girl.
- PARENTING FTW!!!
- Christina: That reminds me of the girl who gets $10 for every A on her report card and spends it all on comics.
- Emily: This reminds me of the dad and daughter who came into my store and bought the American Dream tpb we had. And then proceeded to buy every book with a strong central female character I could think of to recommend. Good parenting.
- Tracy: There is a family who would always come in on Saturday. The older sister and mom weren't really into comics, but they would walk around with the younger sister and dad while they picked out what they wanted. The young girl always came in and spent her allowance on comics.
Just a friendly reminder to not put your change in the red buckets this year!
“The Salvation Army doesn’t believe that gays and lesbians should ever know the intimacy of any loving relationship, instead teaching that ‘Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life.’" - (source)
“Salvation Army Major: LGBT People Should Be Put to Death" - (source)
“The Salvation Army openly says that ‘practicing homosexuals’ aren’t welcome in their organization and they have lobbyists in D.C. and abroad who work to prevent gay rights legislation from being enacted." - (source)
“The Salvation Army does not only discriminate against gay and lesbian people, it also works politically against LGBT rights all over the world." - (source)
Spread the Word!
So while some of your nickels and pennies are going to hunger relief or “Christmas Assistance” just know that a large portion of your donation is going toward lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies - including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal.
Thanks for your time! Please inform your friends and family, to help signal boost this message!
Other ways you can help this Christmas season:
I fixed the links. Please reblog this instead! :)
All of my Nanowrimo folks, it is time! This is my 5th year of NaNoWriMo, and I am doing a NaNo and a half, so excuse me if I don’t have a lot of time to talk. This year is Cyberpunk, and I decided …
Day one of NaNoWriMo. My opening.
Today I got banned for 12 hours from Facebook. It’s not the end of the world (I think it helped my productivity) but I figured it would be worth discussing because of the context of the ban. So here goes.
Last June I made this comic:
Definitely not the most shocking…
I saw a video today, and I thought the Friendly Atheist and Atheist Voice had perfect timing in releasing it shortly before the western world’s favorite spooky day.I don’t know when last I believed…
A video from Atheist Voice and Friendly Atheist makes me consider a spoopy holiday.